Established by Bishop John Mark Gannon, Cathedral College was chartered in 1925 by Villa Maria College. The school received it's own charter as a four year men's college in 1944 and was renamed Gannon College. The school received University status in 1979. Old Main, which was purchased in 1941 as it's main building, was known as the Strong Mansion. It currently houses classrooms, the library, offices, student housing and cafeteria.